Monday, February 25, 2019

Product Review: Tuesday in Love/Sweet Zeek Halal Make-up, and Unorthodox Hijabs Rogue Sports Hijab!

Assalaamu alaikum! Today's review encompasses products from THREE sister companies: Tuesday in Love, Sweet Zeek, and Unorthodox Hijabs!




Red polish with taupe accents.
Tuesday in Love originally approached me about doing a review a couple of years ago, but at that point all I knew about their nail polish was the peel-off polish, which I dislike in general. However, since then they started making water permeable polish, so I figured I would give it a go!

Water permeable nail polish is special polish that allows water to reach the nail. Normal nail polish doesn't allow it, which is why we can't wear normal nail polish if we want to make wudhu or ghusl (ritual ablution). However, a polish that allows water to touch the nail means that it does not invalidate wudhu, allowing us to wear it without having to remove it every time we pray! Alhamdulillah! Water permeable nail polish brands which have been tested by halal certification companies will have a Halal marker - if it doesn't have a halal certification (or even if it does), you can test it like I do at the end of the above video. Simply apply two coats of nail polish onto a paper towel. Place a second paper towel underneath, and then apply two drops of water to the center of the polish. Wait 5-10 seconds and then check the back side of the paper towel (and the second one) for wetness!

The polishes from Tuesday in Love I received were Cherry Bomb (red) and Truffle (nude/taupe). Both went on in a similar fashion. The brush is a normal, thin nail polish brush, and the polish has the consistency of most nail polishes. The first coat dries a soft satin, while the second coat takes on more of a traditional satin appearance and shows more shimmer. Without top coat (which I did not have), the polish chipped pretty severely for me within two days. I definitely advise buying top coat for this brand!!! (Comparatively, Orly Breathable brand, which costs less, goes on easier for me and chipped after four days with no top coat, and only after doing my whole curly hair routine.)
One coat (R) vs two coats (L)

Tuesday in Love is NOT just polish! They also have a FULL range of halal makeup products, a range of hijabs and sunglasses, and a section for gifts for men. Definitely check out their full line and see if anything perks your interest!

Sweet Zeek, comparatively, is JUST a lipstick line. The lipstick came with a cute little booklet explaining the idea behind the company (geeky younger sister secretly watches older sister apply lipstick for years, older sister goes to college and leaves younger sister lipstick and a sweet note saying she is a "zeek": someone who is so geeky, they are cool, inspiring her to start this company). All of the lipsticks long-lasting cream lipsticks, alhamdulillah, and they all come with super nerdy names! The one I received was 'Clark Kent', which is the shade of red my foster mom wouldn't let me leave the house in. 😉 The whole line appears to be reds and a couple nudes (in shaa Allah they expand soon!).

"Clark Kent"
I was a little wary trying this out. My go-to lipstick brand is Kat Von D, and I've also used Lipsense in the past, both of which go on really easily and are really long lasting. When I saw that there was some smear to the lipstick, I thought that was it. But BOY did it surprise me! While there is some smear to Sweet Zeek's lipstick, THIS STUFF STAYS ON! Even if I saw a little lipstick on my glass or straw, at the end of the night, my lipstick looked completely untouched. I even slept in it one night out of laziness and it was still there in the morning! Ma shaa Allah! I was completely blown away! At $7 a pop, I DEFINITELY suggest buying some if you like long-lasting lip color and don't mind that you need to blot it before you leave the house.

The final product I received was the "Rogue" sports hijab from Unorthodox Hijabs. The reason Tuesday in Love sent me this product from their sister company is because it has a "niqab-mode," meaning it has a section you are able to pull up to veil the face, while still being the completely breathable and moisture whicking fabric the hijab is made from. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of me in this hijab, simply because it did not fit. (I forgot to take a picture of my friend in it, but will try to do so and add it in!) My friend was able to fit it comfortably. Lesson: Do not buy this hijab if you have unusually long or thick hair! Unfortunately it did not fit me comfortably in either hijab OR niqab mode because my hair is simply just too long and takes up too much space in a bun! However, if you have a more normal amount of hair, this should be completely comfortable for you, in shaa Allah. The "Rogue" hijab only comes in one size - in shaa Allah after this perhaps they will make larger sizes for those of us with either more hair or larger heads - but multiple colors. However, Unorthodox Hijabs has two other full ranges of sports hijabs (sans niqab-mode) with ANTI-SLIP TECHNOLOGY, so check them out for your athletic needs, bi'idnillah!

Jazakum Allahu kheiran everyone! Today's blog review was as short as I expected the video to be (it wasn't). In shaa Allah it was helpful!

Sajida.

No comments:

Post a Comment